Thursday 24 April 2014

How did we arrive here?

Ok, let me introduce us. We are Lee and Hock Lai. We are partners who discovered early in our lives that we enjoyed food and we enjoyed eating.

We both come from backgrounds where our mothers taught us food - its value for sustenance, for pleasure and for celebrating every day, as a blessing with friends, family and special occasions that become gala events. 

We come from totally different backgrounds of taste and culture. But does that hinder us? No Way!!! We enjoy the complexities of East meets West. We both enjoy diverse educations of food, traveling the continents and sheer bliss of combining our tastes.

Anyway, put all that aside - we simply enjoy cooking. It is our love and enjoyment all rolled into one. We love celebration and we love that every day is a celebration of our love of food. We enjoy presenting it , as much as we enjoy eating it. It is simply part of our lives.

We believe that you will enjoy our journey celebrating great food and entertaining as much as us, and along the way you will get an insight as to what makes us tick.

No-one wants to rock up to a table and eat for the sake of it - they want to enjoy, to feel special and to know every meal is a new discovery for ourselves, our tastes, and titillate our tastebuds. Good for us - yes!! But, sometimes we just want to be decadent and taste the forbidden fruits.

So how did we begin to explore "gluten free'??

For years I have cooked for people and over the years many people have people around me saying "Oh, I am gluten intolerant, I can't eat this and I can't eat that."  OK, I agree it is a bit of a set back and occasionally I even felt that it was more of a fad than medically necessary. You try your best to please them, but there is definitely a mindset that gluten free equals boring. Well, this is definitely not the case!

A while back, my Doctor informed me that I was gluten intolerant! My reaction was 'Oh God, where to now?  I love food too much to to live on lettuce and beans for the rest of my life!'

Then I decided to look into the foods I really loved and quite honestly could not live without.I began to research and realized that I did not have to live on salad for the rest of my life - that I could still enjoy food! Sure, there would be some modifications, some extra expense, and a little more preparation. But, I want to enjoy life, especially through food, and not be dictated to by my body.

Hock Lai and I decided to eliminate the temptations from my life and so our pantry was swept clean of all gluten.  This was a turning point in many of my problems, and I have not looked back. I am really enjoying my food, enjoying being in the kitchen and inventing and re-inventing foods I love to eat.

So come along with us for the ride. We will take you places with a gluten free diet that you never dreamed possible. You cannot cook I hear you say! Follow our recipes and you will be the envy of all your friends. For those of you are not gluten intolerant, we will cater for you as well. 

Bon Appetit!



No comments:

Post a Comment